Monday, January 23, 2012

Slow progress


With a new year comes new psyche. And a lot of that was driven by Harris chastising Dom and I about a lack of performance and improvement in the past 2 to 3 years while he has not been climbing. I think that may just have spurred us… While last year was all about getting back on my feet again (literally after my knee op) I feel that this year is going to be about hitting top form and hopefully getting up something hard which I haven’t done since 2009. 2010 came and went with me feeling really strong but 2 pulley injuries ruined what could have been a good year and then 2011 never really took off, although I did have a good period of ticking and repeating problems up to 7B.

At the moment I am working on getting a solid training foundation with the short term goal of cracking 80% (currently at 60% as of last night so some way to go) on the moderate EP session on my Beastmaker – why that golden number? Well that was where I was at when I sent Boogie Nights so I feel that will be a good starting point. At the same time it isn’t too tweaky so should lay a good solid base to work off of. Once that's achieved I will reassess. One of the key things I am keeping in mind is that I do need to keep switching training focus around to keep it fresh.

Seeing some of the new stuff around Topside has also been inspiring – problems like Cloverfield (8A) and In search of the new sound (8B) come to mind. There are also a stack of problems in the 7C to 8A range which should make a good starting point. I am just holding thumbs that I can keep on this trail! Here goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment